A new baby was born in our family (my husband’s half-brother’s daughter’s son – you followed that, right?) and I wanted to make a special gift. I had only just learned to sew when Bryce was about 6 months old, so I never made any baby toys. I had seen similar blanket tutorials on Pinterest, but not exactly the same, so I figured I would walk you through what I did. This project takes less than an hour and makes a super-cute gift for a new baby.
- 15″ square of fleece
- 15″ square of minky
- different-colored ribbons of varying thicknesses
- coordinating thread
- Gather your materials. I picked contrasting colored-fabric (light blue & chocolate brown) with coordinating ribbons (blue with brown monkeys & light blue with darker blue zoo animals).
- Cut ribbons to the desired length (about 4″ each). you will be pinning the like-sides (the ones you want facing outward in the end) together; however, you must first take your ribbons, fold them in half, and sandwich them between the two outer fabrics, facing inward. This image shows the right sides of fabric pinned together with the sandwiched ribbons in the middle, separated so you can see how it looks.
- Sew all along the edges, leaving about 3 inches open. Turn it right-side out, and it will look like this, opening to the top right.
- Pin the open closed, with the final piece of ribbon sandwiched in between. Sew a top stitch all around. This is the completed blue fleece side.
- And this is the brown minky side.
What do you think? Obviously this one is baby-sized, but I may need to make a similar toddler-sized blanket for Bryce because it is just so cute!
Update – Here’s Baby Cash with his blanket. How cute is he??
Disclosure: I’m not affiliated with the Taggies Registered Trademark. These should not be produced for sale.